Along with all the essential documents, it is also necessary to submit a Photo while submitting the application for U.S. Passport. The Photo must meet the following guidelines mentioned below to avoid any sort of delay because of invalid Photo.
When you are submitting your US passport photo you should take special attention to:
#1: Photo Requirements
Your passport Photo must be:
- The Photo must be in color.
- The Photo must be printed on matte or glossy.
- The ideal size of a Photo is 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm).
- The Photo must be adhering to the specifications given at Photo Composition Template.
- The Photo mustn’t be more than 6 months old from your current appearance.
- The background of the Photo must be plain white or off-white background.
- The Photo must be taken in full-face view which is facing directly at the camera.
- The Photo must represent neutral facial expression or a natural smile with both eyes open.
Although we recommend to use the help of a professional photographer who has the expertise and skills required to click photos for Passport, you can follow the below guideline if you want to do-it-yourself.
Given the fact that you are using a digital camera to click the Photo, make sure to set the following options before clicking.
The image dimensions must be set to square aspect ratio (i.e. the height and width of the image must be same). Minimum acceptable dimensions for Passport Photo is 600 x 600 pixels while maximum allowed dimensions is 1200 x 1200 pixels.
#3: Color and Further Information
Normally all the digital cameras are set in sRGB color space by default. If not, then make sure to set the right option.
For further information, you can also go through the Photography Guide and Photo Composition Template available on the official United States Government portal.